The Story Never Ends!
I used to go to the Miami Beach Youth Center when I was younger. This place was THEE best place to go for summer break. It had a bowling alley, olympic size pool, ice skating rink and concession stand. And that was just downstairs. Upstairs had pool tables and movie viewing rooms. Upstairs, in one of those rooms was where me and “The Neverending Story” met.
I was having a conversation with Max and she said, “but what is it about?” and I said, “girl, it’s about a story that’s neverending!” Alright, that didn’t really answer the question, but did we need 80’s movies to make sense?
In case you need help, the answer is “no.”
I re-watched The Neverending Story the other day. Yes, I own the movie. Yes, I will admit that. It was one of the first adventure movies I ever saw. Adventure movies when you’re young and wide-eyed are from GOD! I tell you, GOD! Considering that the movie came out when I was 6 years old, I figured I needed to own it so that we could get reaquainted at least 4 times a year. Well, I said “hello” to this movie again last week and 26 years later, it’s still a good one.
I wanted to share some of the moments that hold great nostalgia for me: Enjoy and add your own..
SORRY DASH!!! **SPOILER ALERT!**
1. When the bullies threw Bastian in the garbage bin, my thought was “SEE, THAT’S how people end up bringing guns to school. You can tell it was the 80’s, because he ran away. Nowadays, you get shanked.
2. I’ve stolen books before. (not from the bookstore, but you know) But the guy in the bookstore was creepy enough for me to believe him when he told me “your books are safe.” I would’ve dusted it off, and stayed my ass with the “Safe books.”
3. Where was this boy’s dad!?!? I understand he skipped school that day to read this story, but DAMN SON, it’s nighttime! “Do you know where your kid is!?” Do you care!?
4. I had the biggest crush on Atreyu. Don’t ask no questions. I think it was the first time someone had their shirt open in a movie. I was hooked. His cute little bird chest.
5. If you show me one person that didn’t choke up when Atreyu’s horse died, I will show you a robot with no soul. Get in touch with your inner emo!
6. Can I even KNOW what that horse’s name was? I never watch the credits (although I JAM to the “Neverending Story” song) to figure it out. Artack? Artaz? Help me, help me pleease!
7. You CANNOT produce one person that didn’t hold their breath when Atreyu went through the Oracles. I thought he was done for. ESPECIALLY when he waited til the eyes were opening to start running! That’s movie time suspense! (also, this was the first time that most people saw boobies in a movie) But what was the purpose for the last oracle? All it did was show his reflection. “Not needed in the movie, table for one. Not needed, your table is ready.” (sorry, I had to)
8. How did The Nothing come and take erryone else away and leave The Rock Biter alone? He was too heavy? The Nothing was bad enough to take him away too, but then you wouldn’t have the saddest line in the movie, “They look like big, strong hands, don’t they?”
9. One Word, FALCOR!! That mutha effin dragon was THEE luck dragon. He appeared JUST in the nick (lol) of time when the wolf was gonna fix himself an Atreyu poo-poo platter. However, the luck ran out when they were flying and he lost Atreyu. But just like any true ride-or-die friend, he went into the ocean and got Atreyu’s bling. #ThatsLove
10. That wolf was the fakest thing I’ve possibly ever witnessed. Do I care? NOPE! Do I think they should’ve just shown the eyes? Yes. Glowing eyes from a demon wolf will get a 6 year old ERRTAHM!
11. One phrase: “CALL MY NAME!” that’s all I need to say. However, if someone can tell me what that name was, I’ll owe you 7,000 Monopoly Dollars (And the 4 railroads!) I watch that part with the subtitles on, and even THEY don’t know what Bastian yelled out that window. *sigh*.
The movie isn’t known for it’s quotables because there were very few quotes you need to toss around in everyday life. Every now and then though, I pull out “why don’t you do what you dream, Bastian?” and change the name to fit who I’m talking to. Only the dopest of people understand where that line came from. If the person is in the upper echelon of dope, then they’ll answer, “I can’t, I have to keep my feet on the ground!” Extra points if they whine it out like Bastian did in the movie.
Who didn’t want Falcor to fly around on? Even if he was attached to all those strings. I BAWLED when he saw Atreyu and the horse riding in that field after everything was said and done. I laughed when he chased them bullies into the garbage bin. And I was sad when it ended. It’s like I was trapped in a glass box of emotions. Great, just GREAT!
Have you ever seen The Neverending Story? (no, you didn’t need to see part 2) If you haven’t, I think you need to re-evaluate your childhood-space. (too many syllables, back to the factory on that phrase) Look it up online, but don’t look at it with a critical eye. Don’t check for inconsistencies. Don’t tell me how fake the wolf looks. Don’t let the old man freak you out.
Reminisce with me.
(I started singing T.R.O.Y with that last sentence.) If you don’t know the reference Plaxicothyself you need to step your game up.
Enjoy your weekend folks.
Peace and Love, Nick