The Cosby Show
“Nostalgic Fridays” – let’s go..
The Cosby Show IS the show that NBC banked on every Thursday. It wasn’t television if it was Thursday and The Cosby Show wasn’t on. I’m not sure what tv was like before Cosby Show came on the air. It ended over 12 years ago, and it STILL comes on. There’s no reason for my tv to ever be without it.
98% of the time Cosby Show was a guaranteed laugh. It was one of the few shows that my mother would let me watch (strict, FTW!) and it was the reason that I ran home from after-school to make sure that my homework was done in enough time to watch it. I remember wondering how they were gonna switch up the opening music every season. How cute Theo had gotten, and why Clair wore makeup to bed. (Inconsistency is not cool with me)
In homage to The Cosby Show, I wanted to present the episodes (or lines) that are my favorites. The lines that make me nostalgic. *sigh*
1. Theo says that he just wants to be a regular person. Monopoly money comes into play and the fact that “I’ll get by on bologna and cereal.” “Theo, that is the DUMBEST thing I ever heard!” I still say this quote to this day! I love this episode.
2. Clair wants to lose weight and works out with Debbie Allen. (WIN!) The way that Clair cramps in the middle of the night makes me GUFFAW everytime! The first time I ran miles for the marathon, that’s how I was on the couch the next day. With my crippled lookin legs.
3. The Halloween episode with Clair dressed like Tina Turner and Vanessa and Robert. Robert was SO CUTE!
4. “Real World Episode” Theo says that he can survive in the real world, so Cliff turns the house into the Real World. Rudy is the bank manager, and Clair runs the Furniture City store. “Yes I am Denise, Denise Farquar, Millie’s daughter, NOW PAY UP!”
5. Vanessa got drunk! “chug a lug”
6. Elvin and Clair FTW! “And if you don’t get it together, and drop this macho attitude. You are not gonna have anyone servin you, anything, anytime, anyplace, EVA!”
7. Denise makes the Gordon Gartrelle shirt! “DENIIIISE!!. . . my arms are the same length, why aren’t my sleeves!?”
(trivia: watching the credits in later seasons, Gordon Gartrelle was the name of someone who worked behind the scenes on the show. Kadeem Hardison (Dwayne Wayne) was Theo’s friend in this episode too.)
8. Cliff tries to sleep in, goes downstairs and sees Denise sitting with some dude watching music videos.. “I said, Eh Mon!”
9. When the kids sleep over Sondra and Elvin’s. Fail all around.. Making pizzas in the toaster oven? You fail at being human.
10. Theo’s prom. Helicopters and Hair. Adam Sandler was in this episode.
11. The episode that ends with Cliff and Clair on the couch. He brings out cakes, and she shoves an apple in his mouth. For a lot of us, this was the first time that we’d heard, “In A Sentimental Mood” by John Coltrane. Until later, it was just “that nice song that they played in the background.”
12. Vanessa and girls “do the locomotion.” They can’t sing and they go get lessons. Is this the episode where Vanessa stuffed her bra and Clair goes., “I definitely detect some growth!?” I think so.
13. Vanessa goes to Baltimore to see “The Wretched” and gets stranded. “No, you had to go see ‘The Wretched’ and the big fun.”
14. Slide is trying to get Pam to have sex. Charmaine says that her beloved Lance has not gotten any pooty-tang. The way Charmaine said it was PRICELESS!
15. Cliff goes to Rudy’s tap dancing class. CHALLONJ! (I still say this too)
16. Vanessa and Jeremy are out all night. Cliff and Clair turn the couch around so that they’re the first thing that she sees when she gets home. The way Rudy tried to lie for her in this episode, is usually how I am when I’m lying. Which is why I don’t do it. “JEREMY, are you OKAY!?!?”
17. Cliff dances for Denise’s friends in the living room. The way he flung Clair on the couch and then ran and tried to stomp on her head was great! (Blair Underwood was in this episode. Yum)
18. I LOVE the look on Theo’s face when Mrs. Westlake comes over his house. She looks pretty, then they’re sitting on the sofa, and she starts putting her hair in the bun. Next time you see that episode, watch Theo’s face when he realizes she looks like a teacher again.
19. The family singing for grandparents’ 50th wedding anniversary.
20. The first time they broke out and sang for the grandparent’s 49th wedding anniversary! “You know the nighttime, is the right time.” The feeling associated with the first time I saw that episode is priceless. We had never seen anything like it.
Now, it wasn’t all roses because there’s some episodes that I don’t like. When Cliff dreams that all the men are pregnant, when everyone acts out this story that Rudy wrote. Those can stay on the cutting room floor. But for the most part, The Cosby Show was consistent.
I already know that there’s some greatest moments that I missed. Cliff and Clair Huxtable were so cool. I wanted Theo to be my boyfriend. I wanted Denise to be my sister. They made being a black family look like fun. It wasn’t until I got older that I realized just how embedded in culture Bill Cosby was. Not until I picked up a Betty Carter cd and saw that was the woman who gave Vanessa her singing lessons (please listen to “Open the Door”) Not until I started ballet did I realize that the woman dancing in Cliff’s living room was Judith Jamison, a prominent person in the Alvin Ailey Dance Troupe. When Cliff is trying to get rid of Elvin, he brings over a date for Sondra, who later turns out to be Denise’s husband, Martin. (don’t try to slip anything past me) The fashion is the only thing that might date the show, but everything remains the same. The same way that great hip hop never gets old, is the same way that I can watch The Cosby Show and it’ll never be stale. (Unless one of the bad episodes is on) It will always be dope. Nuffsaid
What are your memories of The Cosby Show? Your favorite episodes? End your workweek on a laugh and a high note. Tomorrow is Saturday! Be happy.
Peace and Love, Nick